Strawberry season is approaching and this dish is a must! Warm berries with a hit of lemon, sugar and vanilla, with crumbly crunchy oat on top.. I mean come on, it doesn’t get much better than that. Oh wait, well… yes it does… add Ice Cream! Duh.
A crumble is essentially a cobbler of sorts. Maybe a cobbler with a crunchier crumblier top. The oats help out with that! Oats and sugar come together with some warming spice and butter to make just the best topping. Honestly its like your favorite part of a breakfast muffin, just lots of it!
The crumble can also be spread out on a baking sheet and baked alone. Be aware, it won’t take as long to bake alone instead of on top of the berries, so check it at 10 minutes and keep an eye on it! The crumble is a perfect topping for ice cream, yogurt, pie, or just by the handful!
The recipe calls for fresh berries, Ive never used frozen but I’m sure they world work in a pinch. HOWEVER, when a recipe has so few ingredients, quality and freshness is super important to me! I mean, why not just make it a fun weekend project and go berry picking with the kiddos and let them help make this treat! Then you would have the absolute freshest strawberries around!!
I love vanilla in recipes. It adds such a richness that you would totally miss if it weren’t there! Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla is my favorite. Its usually a little pricier but totally worth it in recipes such as this one.
And obviously, eat this pretty little thing up with a big ol’ scoop of really good vanilla ice cream. Enjoy your day and enjoy this recipe!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Strawberry Oat Crumble
- 9×9 Baking dish
Strawberry Oat Crumble
- 1 quart Strawberries washed and sliced
- 1 cup Granular Sugar divided
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 small Lemon
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2/3 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 2/3 cup AP Flour
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Pink or Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter Room Temp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine Oats, Flour, 1/2 cup sugar, Cinnamon and salt.
- Add room temp butter to oats and pinch together with fingers until it all comes together into crumbles. Place bowl in the freezer for 15 min to harden the butter up again.
- While thats chilling and your oven is gettting hot, in a lage bowl combine sliced berries, cornstarch, remaining sugar, zest and juice of one lemon and vanilla. Toss until berries are completely coated and no clumps remain.
- Pour berries into a 9×9 baking dish and spread the oat mix over your berries. Bake for 30-35 min or until berries are bubbling around the edges and Oats are golden and crisped.
- Let cool for 10 min and Enjoy!
Enter your email to keep up to date with recipes like this!