Ok Sugar Cookie fans, let’s do this! I’ve got these – soft & chewy inside, crispy on the outsides – cookies, that I know you are going to love. So let’s get to baking!
In my mind there are two types of sugar cookies. The first kind being the soft and puffy ones really crumbly, usually with an icing of some sort. The second kind are the ones that put stars in my eyes – enter my Classic Sugar Cookies. They are buttery, chewy and soft on the inside, and have a nice crisp to the outsides. Let me tell you, I have never been able to just have one. Ooops.
For this batch of cookies, you are going to use a medium sized cookie scoop, then into the fridge for a little chill time. (Only 30 min so don’t freak out!) The cookies are then rolled into a smooth ball of dough and tossed around in some sugar so they have a little extra sweet crunch on the outsides after they are baked.
They get some of the delicious chewy-ness and those gorgeous cracks from the addition of the Cream-of-tarter. Its not in a lot of cookie recipes but it lends a hand in making these Sugar Cookies above and beyond for anyone who loves a good texture moment like me!
One more thing you’ll notice about this recipe is that I used clear vanilla extract instead of my typical standard, Madagascar vanilla. The clear has a slightly different taste than the dark stuff, but the obvious color difference is the real reason I wanted to use it here. I wanted these to be nice and pale in color, to give that perfect vanilla sugar cookie look!
I don’t know if anyone else is quite as obsessed with a perfect circle cookie shape like I am, but just in case I’ll tell you how I get that shape every time.
Its just a cereal bowl turned upside down! As soon as the cookies come out of the oven piping hot, I take my bowl (just a tiny bit bigger than the actual cookie) and turn it over onto the cookie and give it a smooth swishing circular motion around each cookie on the baking sheet and lift it back up. You’ll have a perfectly circular shape to your cookies every single time and look like a real pro too!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Classic Sugar Cookies
- Large Baking Sheet
- Medium Cookie Scoop
- Hand or Stand Mixer
Classic Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups AP Flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter Room Temp
- 1/2 cup Canola or Grapeseed Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Granular Sugar divided
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg Room Temp
- 1 Egg yolk Room Temp
- 1 Tbsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- In a medium bowl, wisk together your flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tarter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or in your mixer, add butter, oil, powdered sugar, and 1 cup of your granular sugar. Beat on medium/high until light and fluffy, about 3 min.
- Add your egg, yolk, and vanilla to your butter mix and beat for another minute or until fully combined.
- Dump your flour mixture into your butter mixture and mix until just combined. Careful not to overmix your dough!
- Grab your medium cookie scoop and scoop out mounds onto a tray. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F during this time.
- In a smal bowl, add the remaining 1/2 cup of granular sugar and a good pinch of salt. Mix.
- Roll regrigerated cookie dough balls between your palms to create a prfectly smooth surface and roll in remaining sugar.
- Place four cookies on a sheet at a time and bake for 6 minutes, then open the oven and rotate your cookie pan and bake for 6 more. (This will help them keep perfect color and not burn.)
- Let cool on tray for 10 min then completely on a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Enter your email to keep up to date with recipes like this!