Say hello to your new favorite lemon cookie! With a crackly crust and chewy center, these qualify as cookie heaven in my book.
I often begin recipes by taking inspiration from family recipes passed down, or from things I ate growing up, but these cookies were a request from my partner. Chewy Lemon cookies sounded like a request I was HAPPY to tackle.
These cookies have a perfectly chewy center that comes from a little refrigeration time and a crispy, crackly crust from a little rolling sugar before they bake! The refrigeration time shouldn’t be skipped because the dough will set up a little more in the fridge and take on a chewier texture in the final product.
The cookies are the perfect treat to welcome in the warm weather. I hope you enjoy them too!
SUBSCRIBE TO BLOG VIA EMAIL
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and stay up to date on all my newest recipes.
Chewy Lemon Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter Room Temperature
- 1/2 cup Granular sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Brown sugar Packed
- 1 Egg Room Temperature
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup Granular sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream the butter for 2 minutes until pale in color and fluffy. Add in the granular and brown sugar and cream with the butter on medium speed until sugar starts to disolve a bit, around 3 more minutes.
- Add in your egg and vanilla extract, and mix until fully combined. Scrape the bowl
- Add in the lemon zest and juice and incorporate. Scrape the bowl again.
- Add in the flour, salt, baking powder and soda and mix until just combined. Switch to a large spatula and give the dough a scrape on the bottom to make sure everything is combined. Do Not Overmix!
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Farenheight and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, mix togehter the powdered and granular sugar and the remaining lemon zest.
- Using a small cookie scoop, make 1 inch cookies and roll each in sugar mix. place two inches apart on your prepared cookie sheet and bake for 9-10 min. The tops will crack and thats when you pull 'em.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet and enjoy!