Thinking about these delicious chocolate chunk cookies just makes me smile for so many reasons. Main one being, I know how good they are!! Now you go make some and join me in smiling like a goober at cookies.
Ok so this recipe is the outcome of my complete obsession for the cookies you get at the Mall. You know the ones… rhymes with Date Blamarican Smoookie Smompany. [hahahahaha, dying] I worked at the mall through college and no joke every week at least one of my breaks was to walk down and get a cookie or two. Small perk of having to work in a mall. Anyway, the cookies there are so good because they start with a brown sugar base. Brown sugar in a cookie will lend a certain amount of chewiness to the final product, and the rich flavor is just so good.
My recipe has a little refrigeration chill time on it. I tested it both ways of course, with the chill time and without. If you are just in a hurry for some cookies, then sure go ahead and skip the step ya animal, they will still be delicious. But come on… what’s a little chill time to get the best result possible? Believe me, its worth it. They will have a more uniform finish, they will have a better chewy texture when baked, and the crunchy/crispy outside will be perfect! So… just chill.
I use chopped chocolate bars not chocolate chips in this recipe. Chips are made to keep their shape when baked and the chopped chocolate melts beautifully into these cookies. If you want even more drama you can put some more chocolate shards on the top at the same time you would place M&M’s. It will pool and shine and be extra chocolatey on top!
Now get yourself a big glass of milk and Enjoy!!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Brown Sugar Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Sheet Pan
- Med/Lg Cookie Scoop
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 2 2/3 cup AP Flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt or Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Butter 2 sticks, Room Temp
- 2 Tbsp Butter Room Temp
- 1 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granular Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs Room Temp
- 1 cup Chocolate shards Cut from bars
- M&M's or More Chocolate Shards optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda & powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars for two minutes with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter mix and mix thoroughly, about 1 more minute.
- Sift your flour into your butter and mix together until just combined with the mixer. Only mix until the flour has just disapeared, being careful not to overmix.
- Add your chopped chocolate and fold through wtih a spatula, being quick and careful not to overmix.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment and with a large cookie scoop, place perfectlly scooped cookie dough mounds directly onto the parchment. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take cookie dough from refrigerator and roll into perfectly smooth balls of cookie dough.
- Place four cookies on a large parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 13 minutes.
- IF ADDING M&M's – Bake cookies for 10 minutes, pull from oven and add M&M's then bake for four more minutes.
- Cool on the pan for 10 minutes then finish cooling on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp. Enjoy!
Enter your email to keep up to date with recipes like this!